Monday, February 25, 2008

Jokes and Classics

What are Classics and what are Jokes? Classics are termed as foolish jokes or ironic jokes which lack a sense of humor. Then how do you say that a joke is foolish and how do you measure it. How do you term a statement as a classic?

Starting from the beginning when the word classic was not introduced in its sense, we termed anything funny as a joke. Then with the introduction of so called classics reduced the sense of jokes. People termed most of the jokes as classics and that they are least interested in them.

Again coming to the starting when I received a message "What's up?" from a person, I really didn't understand the meaning of it and neither do I want to ask its meaning to that person. So I took it in word and not in spirit and answered it. May be this is one of the mile stones. I was always interested in being funny and doing funny things. This so called classics is something born from it. As they say practice makes a man perfect, it has become more of a habit and may be ever out of bounds.

Now coming back to defining and differentiating the jokes and classics, consider the time when the word classic was not defined. Then irrespective of the genre of the funny things it is termed only as a joke. Then with the entrance of the so called "Classic" the meaning of joke is lost to an extent. As an example we can consider the comedy in the movie. I have observed that the people like the jokes of the old movies when the term is not introduced, but most of the same jokes are termed as classics now and why not almost all the jokes have an explanation for being termed as classics. The mindset and the vision of the people have turned in such a nasty way.

Now I would like to know what is a classic and in what way is it different from a joke and I would also like to know the list of jokes which have no explanation to be termed as classics. This is not any offensive move but just an attempt to understand the so called term "CLASSIC".

No comments: